Regardless of how much work it involves, that first bite of chile and cheese makes it all worth it and satisfying. That's why I bring you this recipe hoping that you will try it and like it as well.
There are several ways to eat chiles rellenos, but I'm going to show you the way my grandma makes them. That's how I remember eating them growing up.
-3 chiles poblanos
-1/4 cup of cilantro
-1/2 lb of queso fresco or more if needed
-1/4 cup of flour
-3 roma tomatoes
-1/2 bell pepper color doesn't matter
- 5 eggs
-1/2 cup of tomato sauce
-2 cups of water
1. Wash and cut the vegetables. Carrots, onions, bell peppers in slices. The jalapeño and tomatoes just in half. Wash and dry the poblano chiles.
2. Turn on the stove medium-high and place the chiles directly to the fire so they can start burning the outside skin, turn once one side has burned.
3. In a pan add 3 tablespoons of oil and once it gets hot add the onions, jalapeño and bell peppers. Let them cook for a couple of minutes until they change color.
4. Add the tomatoes and press them with the spoon so they release the juices, mix and add the carrots, cilantro and water. Salt and pepper as desired. Cook on a low fire covered until the carrots are soft.
5. Remove the chiles from the fire once they are all burnt and place them in a bag, close it tight and cover with a cloth for about 5 minutes.
6. Remove the burned skin from the chiles by just brushing your fingers along them, it should come off easily.
7. In a bowl separate the egg whites and yolks. With the help of a hand mixer beat the whites until they are as fluffy as they can be. Add the yolks and keep mixing.
8. Place a pan with enough oil in the fire and allow it to get hot. Stuff the chiles with the cheese and close them with the help of the toothpicks. Cover them with a light coat of flour.
9. Dip the chiles in the eggs until covered and slowly lay them on the oil. Cook them on each side until they have a golden color. Remove from the oil and set aside.
10. Time to place, in a bowl add some of the vegetable broth you just made and place the chiles on top with some cilantro as garnishing. Serve with a side of rice and tortillas.
Below you can find the videos for a step by step recipe.
Thank you for reading my blog!